Professional Diploma in Abnormal Psychology
In this course, students will explore the diversity of human behavior and its causes by viewing it through a biopsychosocial perspective. They’ll learn how to identify abnormal behaviors and treat them using evidence-based practices that are supported by research.
Students who successfully complete the course will demonstrate their understanding of how physical, psychological, and social factors influence human behavior; the techniques used to identify psychological disorders; and the practical applications of treatment for abnormal behavior.
Abnormal psychology is an emerging field of study in mental health. Though it’s still not a mainstream topic, abnormal psychology has been gaining traction as a subfield because its perspective considers all aspects of human behavior and their influences on the mind.
- Understand the nature of abnormal behavior and mental illness.
- Understand the process of assessing such behavior and the most commonly used system for classifying psychological disorders.
- Be familiar with and able to discuss several different theoretical perspectives on psychological disorders.
- Be familiar with the research methods used and research findings on various psychological disorders.
- Understand the causes and be able to identify the symptoms of various psychological disorders.
- Be familiar with effective treatment approaches to different psychological disorders.
- Understand various legal issues relevant to mental illness and abnormal behavior.