Certified Professional In Digital Library Information System
This course teaches students the principles and techniques of systems analysis and how to apply them in Semantic user-centered digital libraries. Digital Libraries are organized collections of information, a focused collection of digital objects, including text, video, and audio, along with methods for access and retrieval, and for selection, organization, and maintenance of the collection.
Digital libraries are fast becoming an integral part of information science as more and more institutions (e.g. libraries, schools, universities, museums, corporations, governments) are building their own digital collections and institutional repositories. At a more personal level, there is a need to learn how to create, manage and provide access to digital collections about our communities, families, personal interests and work
- At the end of the course you will be able to:
- Participate in planning, development, and management of a digital library project.
- Discuss principles of interoperability, standards, and metadata (e.g. digital types, formats, protocols).
- Evaluate digital library technologies.
- Discuss issues/challenges facing digital libraries (digital preservation, copyright, personalization, personal digital libraries).
- Be familiar and current with present and future trends in digital libraries
Name of digital library/project
Mission/goals (e.g. provide a service, conduct research on DL issues)
Community it serves (who is the audience, users)
Content (collection development policy, the scope of their collection, etc.)
Organization of information (Metadata, classification/categories, thesaurus)
Interfaces (search capabilities, basic/advance search, visualization aids for searching, browsing, or presentation of results)
Services (access policy, help options, instructions, FAQ, digital-reference, chats, blogs, etc.)
Technology (e.g. digitization procedures, content management, web access, hardware/software employed, etc.)
Management (budget, funding, partnerships, sustainability)
Publications (e.g. papers / reviews / evaluations) by the DL / project group or about the DL / project
Other relevant information about the DL/project